- 3 medium aubergines, sliced widthways into 1.5cm rounds (900g)
- 200ml olive oil
- 8 large or 16 small black garlic cloves (35g)
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 7 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced (30g)
- 3 red chillies, sliced on the diagonal into 3mm rounds
- 5g dill leaves
- 5g tarragon leaves
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250ºC/230ºC Fan/Gas Mark 9 (or to its highest setting).
- Place the aubergine rounds in a large bowl with 60ml of the olive oil, ½teaspoon of salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Mix well and spread out on 2 large baking trays lined with greaseproof paper. Roast in the oven until golden-brown and completely soft – about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the black garlic cloves in the small bowl of a food processor with 1/3 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 tablespoons of yoghurt and the lemon juice.
- Blitz for a minute, to form a rough paste, and then transfer to a medium bowl.
- Mix through the rest of the yoghurt and keep in the fridge until needed.
- Heat the remaining 110ml of oil in a small saucepan on a high heat.
- Add the garlic and chilli slices, reduce the heat to medium and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the garlic is golden-brown and the chilli is crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the garlic and chilli on to a kitchen paper-lined plate.
- Arrange the aubergine slices, overlapping, on a platter.
- Spoon the yoghurt sauce on top, sprinkle over the chilli and garlic and finish with the herbs.
Bron: Plenty More, Yotam Ottolenghi