Recipe to make delicious harissa with black garlic.
- 2 long red peppers or 2 red bell peppers
- 2 large tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 3-4 fresh red chillies
- Olive oil to taste
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp dried coriander / bunch fresh coriander
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- Salt and pepper
- and a bulb of black garlic cloves, removed from bulb
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F
- Roughly chop the peppers, tomatoes and onion and toss in olive oil with whole chillies and black garlic cloves.
- Season and roast in oven until they start to char and become soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan.
- In a warm pan, dry fry the spices gently until the aromas start to release, ensure not to burn them. Remove from heat.
- Add everything to your food processor, scraping the vegetables from the oven pan along with all of the lovely juices and oil and mixing with the spices. Whizz to a consistency you like, I like mine a bit chunky.
- Add lemon juice a little at a time to suit your taste and mix well. The lemon juice really lifts the flavour and brings out the taste of the black garlic.
- Stir dried or chopped coriander through the mix.
- NOTE: I found this quite spicy to I threw in some extra oven roasted tomatoes to take the heat down a bit.
- Store in a clean jar with a layer of olive oil over the top to preserve the harissa.
- OR…like me..dig in with a spoon!!!!
- Then, add it to EVERYTHING!!!! spread on toast, use it to marinate chicken, cook vegetables in it, experiment and play with it.
Enjoy your meal!